Know the Signs of Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, can often go undetected because the symptoms aren’t always painful. However, the longer it goes untreated, the worse the outcome can be. You can even lose your teeth!
We’ve put together a list of symptoms that you should never ignore – the sooner you catch gum disease, the more we can do to help!
- Gums that bleed when you brush. Healthy gums shouldn’t bleed upon normal brushing. This can be a sign of a plaque buildup on the gums, which can lead to gum disease.
- Gum tissues that are swollen or red. If plaque is allowed to accumulate on the gums, the swelling can become chronic. The presence of constant bacteria on the gums can make it harder for your body to fight the infection, breaking down your gum’s attachment to your teeth.
- Sensitive gums. The gum inflammation mentioned above can also cause the gums to recede, which will expose the nerves in your teeth. This can lead to hot or cold sensitivity, sometimes even being sensitive to the air you breath through your mouth.
- Chronic bad breath. The bacteria in the plaque that has been accumulating on your teeth can emit gases that have a foul odor.
- Loosening teeth or pain in the gums. These symptoms are more advanced signs of the disease, which means it’s time for you to seek immediate help.
Any of these signs, separately or combined, call for a professional dental examination. Please call Coastal Periodontics in Portsmouth, New Hampshire to schedule an appointment for a gum examination.