Are You A Good Candidate For Dental Implants?
Dental implants are rapidly becoming the most popular choice for adults missing their teeth. Chances are that if you can undergo any kind of routine dental procedures, you’re probably a good candidate for dental implants.
Dental implants are suitable for those who:
- Currently wear dentures – Implants can serve as more stable replacements for your dentures or can be used to help secure and stabilize the dentures.
- Suffer from bone loss – Implants will help to prevent any further bone loss caused by missing teeth and can preserve your facial structure.
- Have been diagnosed with gum disease – If you’ve lost your teeth because of gum disease (also known as periodontal disease), the success rate for dental implants are high.
All of the above are good candidates for dental implants. Below are a few scenarios that may affect your candidacy, but you can still be considered for dental implants. It would all depend on your unique circumstances. If any of the following are true for you, please set up a consultation with Dr. Kate Wilson in order to evaluate your suitability for dental implants:
- If you suffer from a chronic disease – Diseases such as high blood pressure or diabetes won’t automatically make you ineligible, but will require extra precautions to be taken for your dental implants.
- If you use tobacco products – Smoking or using chewing tobacco will significantly lower your implants’ success rate. However, it doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to receive implants. We will strongly encourage you to quit tobacco products before surgery.
If you want more information on dental implants, or would like to set up a consultation appointment at our office, please contact Coastal Periodontics. We are located in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.