Causes of Tooth Loss
Whether you lose a tooth naturally or by more violent means, there are so many different causes of tooth loss. In this article we will discuss a few of the most common causes of tooth loss and a few tips on how to prevent tooth loss from happening to you.
- Major Tooth Decay – If you leave cavities untreated, they can eventually lead to tooth decay. Tooth decay can harm the structure of a tooth so severely that they can break or fall out simply from chewing.
- Gum Disease – If you neglect to care for your gums, this can lead to major problems for your teeth. In more advanced cases of gum disease, teeth will become loose and can fall out.
- Surgical Tooth Extractions – If a tooth has become infected and root canal therapy will not fix it, or if a tooth is severely damaged or decayed, it sometimes becomes necessary to remove the tooth by surgical means.
- Physical Altercations and Assaults – If you get into a fight or are assaulted, facial injuries are likely to occur. If these injuries are serious enough, they may result in the loss of a tooth or multiple teeth.
- Contact and Combat Sports – Combat sports (such as karate and boxing) and contact sports (such as football or hockey) can all result in major facial injuries. These injuries can often result in tooth loss or damage.
Tooth Loss Prevention Tips
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Floss your teeth once a day
- Avoid using tobacco products
- Wear mouth protection during sports
- Drink water throughout the day to help wash away harmful bacteria
- Visit the dentist every 6-12 months for regular cleanings and exams
Dr. Kate Wilson has helped numerous patients who have suffered tooth loss. She is well versed in the various solutions for restoring missing teeth. To make an appointment with Dr. Wilson, please contact Coastal Periodontics, located in Portsmouth, NH.